To Subscribe for daily updates click here|
| Recipes for 26 Aug 2016|
|Cuisine : Hungarian Cuisine|
4-5 lb. Assorted chicken parts (Breasts, legs, thighs, etc.)
3-4 lb. Onions
1 Green Pepper
1 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Pepper
3 tbs. Paprika
2 Cloves minced garlic
1 tbs. Cooking fat (or butter)
1.Chop the pepper and onions. (Three to four pounds of onions may seems like a lot, but they will be reduced by about 50%. They are at the heart of this recipe). Mix the onions, pepper, salt, pepper, and garlic in a bowl.
2. Wash and dry the chicken. Remove the skin if you wish.
3. Add the cooking fat and about one inch of the onion mix into a large pot. Wash and halve the carrots (don't peel), slice them lengthwise, and add to the mix. Place a layer of chicken on top, sprinkle liberally with paprika, and then add another inch of onions. Continue until the pot is full. Depending on the amount of chicken, you may need a second pot. (For even cooking, place breasts and thighs in the bottom of the pot, wings and legs toward the top.)
4. Cover and cook on the stove top at a low heat for about 2 hours or until the meat falls off the bone. You really can't overcook this dish. Rearrange chicken pieces at least once and add more paprika if you wish.
5. Reserve the onions and broth when done cooking to serve as a "gravy".
- Serve on or with Nokkedli (Hungarian dumplings) or wide egg noodles, smothered with the onion broth.
- - You can add chicken backs, necks, wing tips, gizzards, and hearts (no livers) to the pot for added flavor.
|To Subscribe for daily updates click here||