Any happy occasion is never complete without a delectable cake. And there is nothing like a delicious cake that you yourself have made. It is possible to turn out perfect cakes by keeping in mind certain pointers.
Each basic ingredient contributes towards a perfect cake?
· Flour forms the structure of the cake. You could use either Self-raising flour or plain flour. Self-raising flour is convenient as it has baking powder well mixed it in it.
· Shortening tenderizes the gluten and starch particles, making the crumb tender. During the creaming of the butter air is entrapped and this contributes to leavening the batter
· Sugar makes the cake tender and gives flavor. Caster sugar is best, while brown sugar, syrup, honey, treacle can be used to give different flavors
· Eggs form the framework of the cake
· Portion of baking powder to flour; 1 level teaspoon baking powder to every 120g (standard cup) flour.
What could have gone wrong?
· Heavy cake: maybe too little baking powder; too much flour; flour mixed in too vigorously; oven too slow
· Dry cake: too much baking powder or flour; not enough fat or liquid; too long in the oven
· Sunken cake: too much liquid, baking powder or sugar; too little flour
· Peaked cake: oven temperature could be too high; insufficient fat or leavening
· Cracked cake: cake tin could be small; oven too hot
Pointers to a perfect cake
· All ingredients to be in room temperature
· All ingredients should be measured accurately
· Butter and sugar to be creamed well
· After adding the flour, DO NOT BEAT. Just fold in the flour
· When adding fruits to cake, dredge them in a bit of flour before adding to the batter
· Fruits should always be added after the flour
· Sift dry ingredients at least 3 times
· Fill the cake tin only half to two thirds with batter
· Place cake tin in the center of the oven
· Always use a preheated oven to the right temperatures
· After taking the cake out of the oven, let it stay for 10 -15 min
· Icing should be done only after the cake is cooled well
Baking is fun. Happy baking.