GoDubai
  
  
  
  
Citylife > Press Release
  Home Contact us Add to Favourites
Most Recent Postings
More Press Releses
Featured Sections

Event Finder
A daily roundup of exhibitions, promotions and other events in Dubai and the rest of the Emirates.
Submit an Event
Latest Dubai Press Releases >>

 
  Share

Dubai, UAE, June 19, 2017: The first series of Health and Wellness was held at Skyline University College on May 24, 2017. The event was designed to sensitize the students on emerging health concerns through lectures, discussion and medical check-up among the students, staff and faculty. Medical Practitioners from NMC, Sharjah and Dr. Sunny Medical moderated and sponsored the inaugural event. The event highlighted and focused on non-communicable diseases (NCDs) mainly cardiovascular diseases, cancers, chronic respiratory diseases and diabetes.

Dr. Sanjit representing Sunny Medical clinic observed that non-communicable conditions account for nearly two-thirds of deaths globally, worse than HIV/AIDS, malaria, tuberculosis and all other infectious diseases combined. Whereas there are numerous programs created to address the infectious disease, the same is not replicated with chronic diseases since these diseases are associated with choices an individual makes at an early stage of life. Dr. Sanjit further explained that chronic diseases have become principal causes of suffering, disability, and death accounting for most health care expenditures.

To collaborate this observation, the World Health Report (2014) states that non communicable disease are responsible for 65 % of total fatalities in the UAE where the likelihood of dying from cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular disease or chronic respiratory disease in UAE's is likely to increase from a previous 16 % to 19 percent. The biggest contributor to this increase are younger people aged 30 years and below. Among the high risk factors contributing to this increase include high blood pressure, tobacco smoking and secondhand smoke exposure, high body mass index, physical inactivity, diets low in fruits and vegetables. Choices made usually at an early stage, for example, in the eating habits and active participation in physical activities become habits that define lifestyles of individuals when they become adults.

Promoting and educating the young population (15-35 years) about a healthy lifestyle is critical in curtailing the runaway pandemics. Millions of deaths can be prevented and economic losses reduced by billions of dollars if added focus is put on prevention. It is hoped and envisaged that information learned and processed, at group levels, will be shared and spread among a wider audience and the greater community to the benefit of all.

This health and wellness event is an initiative of SUC as part of the university's CSR activities. SUC Assistant Professor Dr. Wilson Gachiri spearheaded the event.


Posted by : GoDubai Editorial Team
Viewed 32818 times
Posted on : Monday, June 19, 2017  
Replication or redistribution in whole or in part is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of GoDubai.com.
Previous Story : Memorandum of Understanding Signed Between Mohammed Bin Rashid Space Centre has Signed a with Univer...
Next Story : AUS College of Engineering Announces Three Endowed Chairs
Email this article Print this article

Share this article with your friends and followers
NewsVine

Comments

Back to Top  
Most Viewed Press Release posted in the last 7 days
SOUQ.com hosts two-day Samsung carnival with incredible offers on Mobiles, Weara...
Perfect Fragrances to Celebrate Eid
100 New Ways to Transform Your Home With the New Ikea Catalogue
LG V30 to Elevate Smartphone Camera to New Heights
A Post-Summer Pigmentation Saviour from MZ SKIN
Next Major Smartphone From LG to Feature First-Ever OLED FullVision Display
GCC's premium home appliance market to thrive with LG SIGNATURE
COÉGA Sunwear Launches Contemporary Autumn/Winter '17 Conservative Swimwear
Michael Kors Debuts New Bancroft Handbag Collection
Introducing the Fall 2017 GUESS Accessories Collection Advertising Campaign
The Ritual of Karma
Eid Al Adha with Paule Ka Fall-Winter '17
Six Down, Two to Go - ADSB Keeps Up Pace in Delivering Ships to Kuwait
International SOS and Control Risks Advise Pilgrims Worldwide Ahead of Hajj 2017
Global Jewellery Retail Chain Joyalukkas signs Award-Winning Bollywood Actress K...
Patrimony Collection Excellence Platine
ICONIC announces ICONIC KIDS- Born Different
Emily Ratajkowski wears Salvatore Ferragamo eyewear
Highly Anticipated Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Extra-thin Arrives in the Middle East
UAE is likely to see increased cashless transactions by 2020: Xpress Money's Str...
Zenith Chronomaster El Primero Full Open
New UAE Space Agency Board of Directors Holds First Meeting
UAE Team Emirates to Make Vuelta a España Debut
"WATHIQATI" Receives the highest number of documents since its launch ...
Education in the UAE continues to cost families almost AED 1 million per child n...
Dubai Land Department's ‘Ejari' smart application protects the right of all parties
Abu Dhabi Ports seals strategic partnership with Healthpoint for wellness-coachi...
Growing appetite for seafood drives demand at Middle East's largest dedicated se...
Turkish Airlines' cross-continental flights are more comfortable now with the ba...
The Aston Martin Vanquish Zagatos: Speedster and Shooting Brake join Coupe and V...
Win prizes worth over AED 2million with Al-Futtaim's retail brands
Al-Futtaim Honda launches Consumer Happiness Counter initiative
Dubai Land Department Awarded Two ISO Certificates in Quality and Environmental ...
SOUQ.com – Your one stop shop for all back to school essentials with up to 60% off
3rd Maritime Conference & Expo (MARACAD 2017) launches “Maritime Business Leader...
AED 21 Billion Worth of Dubai Real Estate Projects Launched Since the Beginning ...
Kamal Vachani welcomes Rt Hon Keith Vaz MP, UK
Jafza attracts 267 new companies during the first half of 2017
Get Ready to Go Back-to-School with Dubai Festival City
Second phase of electronic medical record project goes live across several DHA h...
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles to Join BMW Group, Intel and Mobileye in Developing Au...
Schneider Electric and Claroty partner to address safety and cybersecurity chall...
Joyalukkas launches Diamond Earring Festival with the latest Happy Diamonds coll...
Dubai Science Park and Al Jalila Foundation sign MoU to support scientific resea...
“Gulf Navigation Holding” marked rapid profit growth in the first half of 2017 by 33%
Top Saudi Students Complete Huawei's ICT Program in China
Major Components Successfully Installed at Unit 4 of Barakah Nuclear Energy Plan...
First-of-its-Kind National Health Study to Enlist 20,000 Emiratis
Sharjah calls on entrepreneurs to participate in flagship Sheraa Accelerator program
Sharjah Health Education Department Announces “Health and Tourism 2017”