Abu Dhabi, Aug 14, 2019: The medical team at Al Ain Hospital, part of Abu Dhabi Health Services Company (SEHA), the UAE's largest healthcare network, performed a dangerous procedure to save a 13-year-old girl who swallowed a 2.5 cm pin that settled near her heart.
The young girl accidently swallowed the narrow pin as she was preparing to wear her veil. A series of medical tests and analysis revealed that it landed in one of the lower bronchi of the left lung, adjacent to the heart muscle. The doctors managed to insert an endoscope and successfully remove the pin from the wall of the lung using localized anesthesia without causing any internal bleeding.
Dr. Saber Al-Mishal, Head of the Pulmonology Department stated: “This case was extremely sensitive due to the location of the pin. Our doctors had to carefully remove the pin without touching the heart or puncturing any veins or arteries that may have caused major internal bleeding.
Their steady hands and vast intricacy allowed the young girl to leave the hospital the same day of the procedure. The health and safety of our patients is always our number one priority”.
The healthy young girl and her family expressed their gratitude for the efforts exerted by the medical team and for the quality care provided by the medical, technical and administrative staff at Al Ain Hospital.
The Pulmonology Department with its advanced laboratory provides many services to diagnose and treat chest pain, asthma, allergies, obstructive sleep apnea, chronic bronchitis, bronchodilation, lung fibrosis, ascites of the membrane and bronchoscopy, and acute inflammation of the lungs.