Dubai, UAE, April 23, 2016
1. Your career as a blogger in 5 essential milestones
- 2009: I founded theblondesalad.com, received my first invitations to fashion shows and was offered projects from a few brands
- 2011: the TBS crew was launched and so began the adventures with my team. We also received the first international awards.
- 2013: theblondesalad.com evolved into an online magazine and our social media strategy changed; our Instagram profile reached millions of followers
- 2014: the first magazine covers, increasing to 27 covers the following year, including the first Vogue cover
- 2015: the Harvard business case; a Forbes nomination, as the only Italian woman in the 30 under 30
2. Can you tell us about the day you decided to start your blog?
It was really a decision that came about after a lot of consideration. I had already been posting in various online communities for years and had lots of followers. Then Richi gave me a final, encouraging push by buying the domain while he was in Chicago! It all began from there.
3. The look you'll never forget and why:
The one for my first red carpet appearance in Cannes, wearing Alberta Ferretti. It was intensely emotional and unforgettable.
4. You've transformed your passion into a job as well as a new profession. Can you tell us about the moment when this became clear?
At the start, nothing was definite; it wasn't even what I set out to do. Then the first offers began arriving and I understood that this could be a source of income - but from the start I've put passion first and foremost and I've always been uncompromising on which work offers I accept. I've always dictated my own rules.
5. What do you remember about your first fashion show?
It was surreal and so different live, compared to the videos I had watched beforehand. In any case, it was thrilling, a dream come true.
6. A childhood memory connected to fashion
As a teenager, I'd say, when I began wanting the handbags that my mother carried. I'm thinking about her Chanel handbags, or her Louis Vuittons. Now that I think of it, I've always been tempted by accessories.
7. Hosiery: 5 adjectives to define it
Comfortable, quality, sexy, trendy, amazing
8. Is hosiery essential for a nude look also?
I see it more as a way to complement other looks… but why not? Nude look as well!
9. Your iconic hosiery
10. The hosiery that you would never have imagined yourself wearing
11. The perfect hosiery for every type of shoe, what do you recommend?
12. When can hosiery make all the difference?
Often. I think it immediately adds character to a look and gives it an entirely different style.
13. A film with an iconic scene where a character is wearing hosiery: what comes to mind?
Any film with Sofia Loren
14. 3 adjectives you'd use to describe Calzedonia
Italian style, iconic, trendy… I have chosen 3 exceptional looks from the Spring/Summer 2016 collection and featured them as this season's favourites
15. As an Italian fashion icon, how much do you like to maintain a connection to your “Italian-ness” / how much does your being Italian come over in your looks?
I feel my style is definitely Italian. Even if it's influenced by international inspiration, I feel - and always will feel - Italian, and am proud of it.