How to reduce waste?
Undoing the harm done to nature is the urgent need of the day. Growth has to be balanced with conservation. By preserving nature, we will be paying the highest tribute to earth, the barer of all life forms and our supreme mother.
Generation of garbage and other wastes and the resultant pollution has had a very harmful impact on the environment. Over 50% of the UAE's household waste consists of organic matter, including food and garden wastes, 22% paper waste, and the rest consists of glass, metal and plastic.
Did you know the lifespan of some of these common wastes?
How can we reduce our negative impact on nature and the environment?
|Chewing gum||5 years|
|Aluminium can||10 to 100 years|
Plastic lighter||100 years|
Plastic bottle||100 to 1000 years|
Disposable diaper||500 years|
plastic bag|| 100 to 1000 years|
Plastic cards||1000 years|
Glass bottle||5000 years|
(Text courtesy: Emirates Environmental Group)
- Reduce consumption and wastage of resources like food and clothing, water and electricity.
- Use energy-saving lighting, air conditioning and refrigerating appliances to lower your energy consumption and your bills.
- Use energy-efficient natural gas for cooking instead of electric cooking.
- Repair leaking or faulty appliances, water taps, pipes etc.
- Use natural furniture and upholstery, increasing natural ventilation.
- Reduce bacterial and fungal growth by keeping interiors moisture-free and clean.
- Reduce indoor air pollution by stopping or forbidding smoking.
- When using cleaners, removers, polish disinfectants etc. containing toxic or volatile materials, use sparingly, occasionally and in well-ventilated sorroundings.
- Reuse waste-water (from washing and cleaning) and water from air conditioners to water your garden.
- Reuse materials of daily use, donate old or discarded items of your use (clothes, toys, books, stationery, furniture, etc.).
- Separate and collect your different kinds of domestic waste.
- Inform local recycling companies or transport to recycling centers so that it can be recycled duly.
- Recycle organic wastes from your kitchen by starting a compost heap and use it for fertilizing your plants and garden.
- Recycle non-biodegradable wastes like glass, aluminium, paper and plastic.
- Reduce the level of pollution by using commodities made from recycled materials.
- Manufacture of recycled commodities also means lover production costs and less usage of energy and water.